Chocolate Turtle Bites
- 1/2 pound medjool dates
- Sea salt
- About 1/3 cup whole pecans (1 pecan for each bite)
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate (dark works great here)
- Pit your dates and then blend with a few big pinches of sea salt in a food processor. It should form a nice ball of caramel dough as it whizzes around. If your dates are really dry, soak them in some hot water before putting them in the food processor.
- After blended, roll your caramel into small balls – about the size of a blackberry. Place balls on a piece of parchment paper and add a pecan to the top of each one. Press gently to flatten and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Melt your chocolate, double boiler-style (see how here). After the chocolate is melted, remove from heat and dunk your pecan balls into the chocolate to cover it. Use a fork to remove them and let the excess chocolate drip through the prongs. Place back on the parchment paper and freeze again for 15-20 minutes until chocolate is set.
- Serve right from the freezer! I think they taste better chilled and the chocolate is less messy that way.
Jessica Murnane http://www.jessicamurnane.com/