"Nutella" Swirl Waffles
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 3 tablespoons almond milk (set aside)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon of nutella
For Nutella (adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk of almond milk
- Make your flax eggs by mixing the flax and water and put in the fridge to thicken for 10-15 minutes. Start heating your waffle iron.
- Mix your dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix milk, vanilla, thickened flax, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Fold your wet ingredients into your dry. Mix nutella (recipe below) with 3 tablespoons almond milk in a small bowl and set aside.
- Take a cup of your waffle batter (depending on how big your waffle iron is, use more or less) and scoop a tablespoon of the thinned nutella mix on top. Use a knife to swirl nutella into your waffle batter. Pour batter into your iron and bake. Top with more nutella or syrup and enjoy!
- Roast hazelnuts for 8-10 minutes on parchment paper at 400 degrees. Let cool and rub them together in a paper towel to get the skins off. Not all of the skins will come off and that’s ok. Blend nuts in a high-speed blender or food processor until they’ve turned to a thick nut butter. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well. This takes a bit of time, so don’t get discouraged. Just keep blending until it’s a smooth consistency.
Jessica Murnane http://www.jessicamurnane.com/