Creamy Shiso Cucumber Salad
- 1 cup packed shiso leaves + extra for garnish
- 3/4 cup of soaked cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of water (or more)
- 1 block of firm tofu, pressed and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon of shallot, minced
- 1 Japanese cucumber, diced
- In a blender or food processor, blend together dressing ingredients until smooth. Start with 1/2 cup of water and add more by the tablespoonful, until you get a creamy, “mayo-like” consistency. Add the dressing to the remaining salad ingredients and give it a few stirs. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Garnish with additional chopped shiso.
- Serve on toasted bread (like I did here, topped with sliced radish, tomatoes, sprouts and mustard), with crackers, in lettuce wraps, or enjoy it by the spoonful.
- For all you soy-free babes out there that don’t eat tofu, use avocado in place of the tofu or just double the veggies.
Jessica Murnane http://www.jessicamurnane.com/